Backup tapes are a hidden source of corporate records that could pose long-term risk and liability. In many instances records on tape are the only existing copy of files and email that are required to support corporate litigation or regulatory compliance.
For decades, IT organizations have stockpiled these tapes in offsite storage vaults after they no longer have any use for disaster recovery. As such, they have transitioned to a legacy data archive of all corporate data. This legacy data archive is now a target for litigation and eDiscovery and must be managed according to corporate data governance polices.
Index Engines manages legacy backup tape with a patented solution that provides cost-effective, direct tape indexing and extraction, eliminating the need for traditional restoration of the content.
Organizations are now empowered to directly index files and email on tapes, including the contents of user mailboxes, allowing for a comprehensive search of content and metadata to find individual items. This enables organizations to quickly query backup tape data to find what they need and only restore the relevant files and email from tape.
Index Engines offers a number of solutions for backup tapes that simplify access and management of the content. These include:
Backup Catalog Management: Ingest the legacy catalog and retire non-production backup software. Use Index Engines to search and report on the legacy catalog, locate the appropriate backup tape, fully scan and index the content, and restore what is required. This eliminates the need to maintain the original backup software for access to tape data.
Legal Requests from Tape: Scan tapes required for litigation, search for specific content such as user mailboxes, and extract data to legal hold. This solution can be performed within your data center or in Index Engines’ services lab.
Legacy Tape Remediation: Manage the long-term liability of the tape content by migrating data of value from tape to disk or cloud. Backup tape remediation reduces annual expenses related to legacy tape storage and the risk of archiving unknown content on tape.
Backup Tape Indexing Highlights:
- Reduces costs and complexity associated with managing and producing data from legacy backup tapes.
- Simplify the extraction of files and email by eliminating the need for restoration with legacy backup tape software.
- Rapid turnaround, extracting only what is needed, typically a small volume.
- Process large volumes of data with automated tape processing and minimal resources.
- Manage long-term risk of legacy backup tape according to corporate policy.
- Reduce off-site storage expenses by remediating backup tapes.
- Direct indexing, search and extraction of specific data files on backup tapes, without the need for the original software that created the tape.
- Supports all common backup formats including NetBackup, Backup Exec, TSM, Commvault and many others.
- Search and extract individual files based on full text and metadata criteria.
- Comprehensive access to individual email content from MS Exchange (EDB, PST, etc.), IBM Notes (NSF) and more.
- Efficient, high speed processing allows for bulk management of tapes.
- Rapidly deployable, no complex integration is required.