Backup tape data is difficult to manage and access as it is stored in proprietary backup software formats. Much of this data has no business value, but a small subset not only has value but can also be a risk or liability to the organization.
Most organizations stockpile backup tapes in offsite storage vaults. These tapes have become an archive of data that is no longer online in the data center. Maintaining this legacy archive, without knowing what is on the tapes needs to change.
Index Engines manages legacy backup tape with a patented engine that provides cost-effective catalog ingestion, direct tape indexing, reporting and extraction of data, which eliminates the need for the original backup software.
Organizations are now empowered to directly index files and email on tapes, including the contents of user mailboxes, allowing for a comprehensive search and reporting of content and metadata to find individual items. This enables organizations to quickly determine what they need and cost effectively migrate the data of value from tape to disk or cloud archives for long-term retention.
Index Engines offers a number of solutions for backup tapes that simplify access and management of the content. These include:
Backup Catalog Management: Ingest the legacy backup catalog and retire non-production backup software. Use Index Engines to search the legacy catalog, locate the appropriate backup tape, fully scan and index the content, and extract what is required. No need to maintain the original backup software.
Audit Tapes for Sensitive Data: Profile tapes at the catalog or full content level to understand what exists and make disposition decisions about the content.
eDiscovery: Scan tapes required for litigation, search for specific content such as user mailboxes, and extract data to legal hold. This solution can be performed within your data center or in Index Engines services lab.
Legacy Tape Remediation: Manage the long-term liability of the tape content by migrating data of value from tape to disk/cloud. Backup tape remediation reduces annual expenses related to legacy tape storage and the risk of archiving unknown content on tape.
- Reduce the costs and complexity associated with legacy backup software.
- Simplify the transition of switching backup software vendors and eliminates the need for restoration with legacy backup software.
- Report and classify legacy tape data based on catalog metadata.
- Maintain access to old information without using the original environment.
- Manage long-term risk according to corporate policy.
- Reduce off-site storage expenses by remediating legacy tapes.
- Processes antiquated backup sets, allowing for the file and email contents to be searched and accessed.
- Extract individual files and email from tape as necessary without restoration.
- Efficient, high-speed processing allows for management of large volumes of tapes.
- No complex integration is required.